In Rewind 2018, the Power Is With Creators and the YouTube Community
Entering its seventh year, and with over one billion views, YouTube Rewind has emerged as one of the most anticipated traditions on the internet.
Each year, Rewind brings together twelve months of trends, stars, music, and memes in a single video that serves as a time capsule for what matters most on YouTube. It’s a fireworks display of digital culture and a can’t-miss event that draws the attention of fans from around the world.
Having partnered with YouTube on Rewind since the first iteration in 2011, the project holds a special place in our hearts. The scale has grown, but the core principle remains the same – celebrate the amazing creativity on the platform, and remind the world of what an incredible place YouTube has become.
The YouTube community has always been front and center in Rewind, but this year, we took this collaboration to new heights – by handing over the reins to Creators and fans to decide what should be in Rewind 2018.
The result is a video that reimagines the biggest memes and trends of the year, but also breaks new ground on what Rewind can be. This year, in addition referencing mega hits like Fortnite, Drake’s “In My Feelings” challenge, and K-Pop sensation BTS, Rewind 2018 pays tribute to groups that form the core of YouTube – from educators on the platform to the LGBTQ community to the powerful women of YouTube.
As always, the production of Rewind was a white knuckle roller coaster ride that took us around the world and back. When all was said and done, we had partnered over 100 YouTube Creators, animators, viral stars, and celebrities, representing over 25 different countries, with 17 shoot days spread across Rio De Janeiro, Seoul, London, Abu Dhabi, Los Angeles, Chicago, and more.
Needless to say, Rewind is a herculean task, and none of it would be possible without the incredible efforts and leadership from our partners at YouTube – whose ambitious and adventurous spirit matches our own – and the amazing roster of YouTube Creators, who are the ones that make this project sing. The unsung heroes behind the making of Rewind – the production crew – worked tirelessly to bring the Rewind vision to life, and brought ingenuity and innovation at every step of the process. Thank you.
Meet the team behind YouTube Rewind 2018 below and watch the Behind the Scenes video.
We are so grateful for the opportunity to bring Rewind to a worldwide audience, and refresh the format in 2018 with the voice of the community itself. We say this each and every year, but we hope you love watching as much as we loved making it.
The Portal A Team
YOUTUBE REWIND 2018 PRODUCTION CREDITS
YouTube Rewind 2018 Produced by Portal A
Music Composed by The Hood Internet
VFX by Bubba’s Chop Shop
Design by Hook
Social by Matte Black
Creative Director: Kai Hasson
Executive Producers: Zach Blume, Nate Houghteling
Director: Jackson Adams
Project Directors: Savana Vagueiro da Fonseca, Emma White
Head of Talent: Brittani Kagan
Talent Producers: Kelly Egan, Ellie Loarca, Meg Schmidt, Ria Madon
Head of Production: Elyse Preiss
Lead Producers: Kady Kamakate, Eduardo Castro Fonseca, Kenji Green
Lead Editor: Arturo Morales
Assistant VFX / Editor: Bee Rhodes
Writers: Erin Schmalfeld, Sam Jackson, Josh Hallman
Project Manager: Grace Emery
Production, Talent Coordinators: Moriah Grant, Karen Janssen, Melissa Vasquez
Strategy: Matthew Ward, Chin Lu, Becca Canote
Design: Tess Hannel, Angela Chang
LOS ANGELES KEYS
Production Managers: Christina Argyres, Carolyn Mao
Office Production Assistant: Analiese Franklin
AD’s: Kate Alden, Caitlin Magarity, Lexi Kirsch
Directors of Photography: Jess Dunlap, Laura Jansen
Steadicam + Camera Operators: Bryant Swanstrom, Alan Gwizdowski, Herbie Wei
Photographer: Elyse Frelinger
Gaffers: Ron Arredondo, Albert Gonzalez, Daniel Paz
Key Grips: Sean Hunt, Joel Bezemer, David Gonzales, Brant Beland
Production Designer: Christian Stone
Art Director: Elie Kaya Stone
Wardrobe Stylist: Emily Moran
Key Hair & Makeup Artist: Sherita Garcia
Special Effects Supervisor: Rene Diamente
Stunt Coordinator: Jessica Harbeck
Choreographer: Hokuto Konishi
Local Producer: Mimi Lee
Local Production Manager: Sol Jung
1st AD: Minji Kang
Director of Photography: Sam King
Gaffer: J.J Jung
Production Designer: Ahn Jeongim
Wardrobe Stylist: Euiyoung Choi
Hair & Makeup Artists: Hanseok Hong, Unyeong Oh, Soyeon Lee
Local Producer: Lucy Trendle
Local Production Manager: Chloe Byatt
1st AD: Andrew Potter
Director of Photography: Harvey Glen
Gaffer: James Canavan
Production Designer: Chris Williams
Wardrobe Stylist: Sarah Marie Collins
Hair & Makeup Artists: Amber Childs, Sophia Cox
RIO DE JANEIRO KEYS
Local Producer: Shanti Correa
Local Production Managers: Marcela Alves, Shana Salazar
1st AD: Nicole Pelosi
Director of Photography: Alan Gwizdowski
Gaffer: Aridalto Manhães
Production Designer: Nathalia Siqueira
Wardrobe Stylist: Evelyn Branco
Hair & Makeup Artist: Luiz Gaia
Director of Photography: Alan Gwizdowski
Gaffer: Jacob Joiner
POST PRODUCTION KEYS
Editor: Andy Young
VFX Team: Ian Nelson, Ben Silverman, Trevor Bulger, Josiah Reeves
Editor, Additional VFX: Pierce Wilson
Color Correction: Aaron Hayden
Sound Design & Mix: Shasha Mandel, Cody Skully
We’re so happy to share that the Portal A team took home trophies in 2 of the 4 categories at the Streamy Brand Awards!
For eight years, the Streamy Awards have been widely recognized as the leading awards ceremony in the world of digital entertainment. The inaugural Streamy Brand Awards at the NewFronts honors brand content and creativity specifically.
To kick the night off, New Year, New Me won Best Influence Campaign. A huge thank you to Rudy Mancuso, Stephen Curry, and the amazing teams at Brita and Google.
Making it twice as nice, our Upside Down Challenge with Hannah Hart won Best Branded Video. Thank you to the teams at Glad and Google for bringing this one to life!
PORTAL A is an award-winning digital studio that creates Branded and Original entertainment for a new generation.
Independently owned with offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, Portal A works with top global brands and develops original programming for digital and linear networks.
Portal A’s work has been seen over 1 billion times, and was recently named Content Agency of the Year by Digiday and Content Studio of the year by Cynopsis.
Our team is looking to hire a Communications Director based in our San Francisco office, working closely with our Los Angeles team as well.
• Develop and execute an annual communications strategy including press opportunities, editorial calendar, awards plan, bylines, industry events, budget, and company messaging
• Create and lead tailored press strategies for branded projects and original series that span across a variety of verticals; coordinate interviews with talent and executives and organize on-set press opportunities during series production
• Secure media placement (trade, b2b, consumer, entertainment) and publicity efforts for the company’s initiatives and executive team
• Craft key press materials including press releases, team bios, program information, pitches, etc.
• Boost Portal A’s industry presence via bylines, awards, speaking opportunities, editorial profiles, and more
• Work closely with the executive team, executive producers, project managers, and talent on project launches and ongoing efforts
• Build and maintain relationships with a network of press and event/conference coordinators
• Manage the development of social media content for Portal A’s accounts
• Assist with updating the website press page; craft content for the company blog and newsletter
• Must have 5+ years experience in communications/PR and must hold B.A. or B.S.
• Experience working with a PR agency is a plus
• Candidate must have strong contacts and relationships with print, digital and electronic media on a national and regional basis
• Detail-oriented, must possess a very strong work ethic and be self-motivated
• Ability to multi-task and think quick on his/her feet
• Essential that this person must know how to follow through/follow-up on all given projects in a timely manner
• Remain organized and accomplish given assignments on or before deadlines
• Must have excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate clearly
• A love of culture and deep understanding of social and digital platforms with strong print and online contacts at youth-targeted media outlets (18-34) including digital-only outlets, monthly publications, daily newspapers, and electronic media including key trade-business and industry press
• Must be very resourceful, flexible and adaptable with excellent interpersonal and phone skills
A few of the benefits of working at Portal A
• Our team is fun, curious, full of creativity and optimism, with a strong desire to innovate
• Our office environment is flexible, autonomous, focused, and collaborative
• Our team structure is flat and non-hierarchical, with opportunities to grow into leadership and contribute at various layers of the process
• We offer competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and generous bonuses
• Benefits include a matching 401K plan, medical, dental and vision group coverage and commuter benefits
• Flexible vacation and work-from-home policies, including multiple WFH days a month
• A casual work environment
• The chance to be at the forefront of one of the most dynamic, complex creative and strategic industries – original and commercial online video
• Office always stacked with drinks and snacks
• Weekly lunches catered on the company
• Matching charitable donations at year-end
• Fun days and outings (baseball games, concerts, volunteer days, etc.)
• The freshest Portal A swag (backpacks, hoodies, water bottles, etc.)
• Travel stipends between our LA and SF offices
• Reimbursed cell phone expenses
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, references, and a few sentences on why you’d be interested in working with us. Please include “COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR” in the subject line of your email.
Portal A is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for our open positions.
We’re so unbelievably proud to announce our first ever Vice President, Emma White!
Read about the announcement in Adweek.
We’re thrilled to announce State of Pride, a new feature-length documentary set to debut on YouTube Premium in 2019.
Developed and produced by Portal A, directed by Oscar-winning filmmakers Rob Epstein & Jeffrey Friedman, and featuring prominent LGBTQ+ activist Raymond Braun, State of Pride takes an unflinching look at the diverse expression of Pride 50 years after Stonewall.
This project has been years in the making, and perfectly reflects our mission to create breakthrough branded and original entertainment for a new generation of viewers.