NOW HIRING: Development Manager
Portal A is an award-winning digital studio that creates Branded and Original entertainment for a new generation.
We partner with the world’s leading brands – Google, YouTube, Clorox, Universal Pictures, Lenovo, Warner Bros., Amazon, and more – and develop original series for linear and streaming platforms. Portal A is independent with offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The Originals team at Portal A oversees the development, packaging, sale, and production of large-scale scripted and unscripted digital and TV projects. We are looking to add a full-time Development Manager to our Downtown Los Angeles team, reporting to our Director of Development.
The Development Manager is at the hub of our Originals team and plays an integral role in the entire life of a project. With 40+ series in development, this person ensures that we are keeping all the trains running on time and managing a variety of deadlines and relationships at once. The Manager is involved during every step of a given project – from sourcing to development to sale and often into production. The role requires someone who can interact and coordinate with a large number of employees in offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles as part of a creative team reporting to the Director of Development.
• Manage the internal systems that push our projects forward, including individual project trackers
• Work closely with the development team to schedule meetings within Portal A as well as with outside collaborators and buyers
• Create and track deadlines for creative materials for internal and external collaborators.
• Research potential talent for development objectives: writers, producers, directors, subjects for unscripted shows.
• Maintain correspondence with outside creatives and collaborators.
• Facilitate delivery and acquisition of various materials to/from outside vendors in a timely fashion.
• Assist in management of the department’s workflow in creative development, sales, and pitch process.
• Take notes in meetings and calls, to share with development and creative teams.
• Maintain up-to-date project tracking documents to be shared with the entire Portal A team.
• Track network needs across TV and digital buyers.
• Aid in creation of pitch documents including sizzle reels, pitch decks, and treatments.
• Administrative duties using Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Calendar, Slack, travel and expenses, filing.
Skills & Qualifications
• 2-3 years experience as an assistant at a production company, studio, or agency
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the development process
• Knowledge of cable TV marketplace
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Knowledge of the digital media landscape a plus
• Experience in production (on sets or in production management or current programming) a plus
A few of the benefits of working at Portal A
• Our team is fun, curious, full of creativity and optimism, with a strong desire to innovate
• Our office environment is flexible, autonomous, focused, and collaborative
• Our team structure is flat and non-hierarchical, with opportunities to grow into leadership and contribute at various layers of the process
• We offer competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and generous bonuses
• Benefits include a matching 401K plan, medical, dental and vision group coverage and commuter benefits
• Flexible vacation and work-from-home policies, including multiple WFH days a month
• A casual work environment
• The chance to be at the forefront of one of the most dynamic, complex creative and strategic industries – original and commercial online video
• Office always stacked with drinks and snacks
• Weekly lunches catered on the company
• Matching charitable donations at year-end
• Fun days and outings (baseball games, concerts, volunteer days, etc.)
• The freshest Portal A swag (backpacks, hoodies, water bottles, etc.)
• Travel stipends between our LA and SF offices
• Reimbursed cell phone expenses
How to apply
Email email@example.com with your resume, references, and a few sentences on why you’d be interested in working with us. Please include “DEVELOPMENT MANAGER LA” in the subject line of your email.
Portal A is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for our open positions.